Sunday, September 02, 2007

Summer ends with a whimper


I am in a foul humor. It's Labor Day weekend and for some reason I am not at Fishers Island. How did that happen? Every year for twenty years I had to chose between doing a canoe race or going home, and I always chose going home. This year I didn't choose either, because I didn't seem to have a choice of either. I am sad that I didn't get us tickets. This would have been the first time in eight months that a trip home didn't involve an attorney or a banker. It would have been nice to simply hang around with the family at the summer place. Lot's of babysitters. Although Riley has been there twice, he says he doesn't remember. Definitely going to plan on a week up there next year, and hope some family will join us. Are they all there because we are not? Some say it's too stressful to have the whole gang up at one time. If us not being there makes it easier for every one else to be there, then I guess that will put me in a better mood. Labor Day in Santa Barbara is something a lot of people are probably paying for, so I'd better suck it up and try to enjoy it. At least we don't have to fight the traffic.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Yes, I too had a very different Labor Day. Wish i was at a canoe race with all my friends. Next year!!!! I am crossing my fingers.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Amazing Sunset!! :-)
Where was this taken?

Hmm...That last 8 months sounds a lot like mine 20 years ago. Dr's, lawyers and bankers...Oh my. My god...and I don't even want to ask about the insurance nightmares these days!! :-(

It truly does suck. Enough to make one's mood most foul. I'll have to disagree with your siblings though. MUCH more stressful as an only, I think. I recall spending that labor day loading all the stuff from the house into storage so I could get mom's house rented while she was in the hospital...REALLY wishing I had sibs to help...Oh well grass is always greener on the other side I suppose.

Thanks for the nice sunset. Reminds me of CR. The memory of which just made my morning. :-)

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home