Monday, June 12, 2006

Father's Day a Week Early

Last year Jayda and Joshua ran together
This year she had to settle for me


Yesterday Joshua Jayda Cecil Riley and I jogged over to State St. to run the State Street mile. This is the event Jayda was born to run. She is the best dog out there by far. She stands at the ready while other dogs are sniffing about. She takes off like she has been shot out of the cannon. If only we could get her a better human. She pulled me 10 blocks and then as we approached the finish line, she started to dally. Not to be passed by last year's winner, I dragged her the remaining half-block to finish in 5:50. Good enough for second place dog with female human in tow. This benefit for the Victim's Witness Assistance Program is an annual favorite of ours. Joshua and I trade off who gets to try to keep up with Jayda. Really for me it is a matter of not being pulled so hard that I lose my footing and get dragged along on the asphalt. At the end of the morning, the whole family reassembles and we jog downhill to a finish line filled with muffins, Platinum Performance water bottles, apples and bananas. Today I am extremely sore. And not only because I had four fillings replaced today, but also because I paddled in an outrigger race on Saturday as a warmup for Sunday's big event.
In the afternoon Joshua and I rode down to see An Inconvenient Truth. Be inconvenienced. Do it for Riley. If you can't go see the movie, check out the website: climatecrisis.net. Don't wait.






5 Comments:

Blogger Surfwahine said...

oh my gosh Dru I love your blog!!! Footprints is the greatest name and I love your explanation of it!
I think that if I had to do the mile run with your dog I would have "street burns" all up and down my body from being pulled!
Look forwrd to reading your entries!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Surfwahine said...

Love the tub pics

6:54 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Wow now I understand about you being still sore from the run. I didn't now that it was a all out sprint with Jada for a mile. I thought that you just went for a jog.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Maybe I should proof everything that I write before I publish it.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Douglas said...

I found your blog by checking my referrer logs.

I bet your dog enjoyed that mile quite a bit!

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home