Monday, June 26, 2006

Forty... the new Twenty...


Around the girdled earth they roam... only to return back 21 years later for the 20th Dartmouth College Reunion. Much time was spent remarking on how wonderful our boring happy lives are in comparison to various tales of divorces and custody disputes. The food was, in a word, horrible. TG (Capitol T Capitol G) or The Group, gathered at Alison's home in Thetford, which provided much relief from the small talk afforded by acquaintances from our past. The kids hunted for tadpoles while we sipped champagne to celebrate the release of Alison's book Double Eagle. My niece Katherine came with Riley and me, and I had a blast. I hope she did too. We didn't find ourselves old, but did feel quietly un-nerved that our next reunion would be our 25th.


It was very hot. Katherine's car doesn't have AC. Riley complained about being soaked in sweat and being touched by the sun through the window. I was sure we would be spending the real Father's Day in Friendly's eating ice cream and waiting for the sun to go down. But somehow we did it. The drive to New York from Hanover was complete in 4 hours, and we punctuated the end of it with a dip in Ama and Apa's pool and a wonderful barbecue with family. I don't have a picture from the barbecue, so instead I am putting in a picture of our picnic the next day. Riley, Ama and I rode the train down to a little riverside park in Irvington, NY. Apa joined us there. I decided whatever I name next will be called Hudson. I just love that river.

2 Comments:

Blogger Surfwahine said...

Riley looks like such a Big Guy sitting the the park bench with his glasses and shoes! Too cute! Sound like a fun trip.
We'll be heading back to Boston next summer to visit all of my relatives! First time for Blaise!
Thanks for the Link info...I did it!
I found out if you change your Template, you also lose your links and have to re enter them. I use to change all the time just to see what it would look like.
This Blog stuff is really Fun !!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Surfwahine said...

Hey Dru, I forgot to tell you I checked out your pics of Riley on Smugmug! Oh too too cute! Do you still use them? Did you like that service? Just wondering, I'm always loking for new ways to share pics of Blaise to my family and friends!
Thanks!

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home